Job Location:Fort Worth
Anticipated Start Date:02/01/2022
Number of Positions:1
This position is located at our Fort Worth, Texas corporate office and has the potential to be a hybrid position with up to 50% remote work.
About our company:
BNSF Railway is one of North America's leading freight transportation companies, with a rail network of 32,500 route miles in 28 states and three Canadian provinces, and employs approximately 35,000 people. BNSF is one of the top transporters of the products and materials that help feed, clothe, supply and power communities throughout America and the world. BNSF moves those goods more safely and efficiently, on significantly less fuel, with fewer emissions than the all-highway alternative.
Given the extent of its network and vast amount of resources needed to operate at its best, BNSF employs the latest technology and constantly strives for innovative solutions and efficiencies in its operations.
About our team:
- BNSF's Operations Research team is responsible for designing and implementing solutions to some of the many challenging problems facing the railroad. These problemsinclude crew scheduling, blocking, van routing, yard simulation, track inspection, network optimization, and equipment distribution optimization, just to name a few.
- Over the years, our team has developed into a tight-knit group of colleagues and friends.This creates a collaborative environment which puts each and every team member on a path to realizing their full potential.
- Inthe past few years, our efforts have been recognized by the OR community in the following ways:
- 2018 INFORMS Prize Winner.
- Finalist for the 2018 Innovative Applications in Analytics Award.
- Finalist for the 2017 Daniel H. Wagner Prize for Excellence in Operations Research Practice.
We are seeking Operations Research Specialists to join our team to apply techniques ranging from large scale optimization, simulation, machine learning, deep learning, image analytics, cognitive computing and advanced statistics.
- Applying operations research methodologies including linear, integer and network programming, to formulate, develop, and implement complex mathematical models.
- Designing and developing applications/tools for decision support systems to help solve business problems.
- Collaboratingwith various Business and Technology Services teams on solution design, development and integration as part of the solution implementation.
- Staying abreast of the advances in analytical techniques, including open source libraries.
- Understanding existing data structures and IT processes and use data-manipulation techniques and tools to derive insights from large volumes of data.
- Preparingstrategic insights and provide consulting services.
- Working with end-users to validate and enhance the applications/tools.
Additional responsibilities for the Sr. level include:
- Identifying solution techniques and implement them independently, with external vendors, through academic alliances, or with BNSF Technology Services teams.
- Exploringand initiate new projects, and socialize among business teams within BNSF.
- Communicatingproposed business solutions, status and findings to senior management and key stakeholders.
The duties and responsibilities in this posting are representative categories to be used in deciding whether to apply for the position. These general categories do not necessarily constitute an exhaustive list of duties of the position.
- 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday, is preferred.
- Work location - Onsite presence or working remotely - Will be determined in accordance with the CDC guidelines
- Master's degree in Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science or a related field; PhD preferred for Sr. level or Masters with related experience.
- Practical experience applying quantitative techniques to solve real-world problems.
- Strong programming skills in at least one object-oriented programming language, such as Python, Java, C++, or VB.Net.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to identify underlying problems and appropriate techniques for solving them.
- Ability to manipulate and extract information from very large and complex data sets.
- Familiar with commercial solver software, such as CPLEX, FICO, Gurobi, ProMod or Anylogic or Frontline Solver; expertise required for Sr. level
BNSF offers competitive benefit programs and services including, but not limited to
- Medical, Dental and Vision Coverage
- 401(k) Plan
- Railroad Retirement
- Life Insurance
- Incentive Compensation Plan (ICP)
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION ELEMENTS
- Criminal history
- Last 7 years of driving history
- Last 5 years of employment history to include military service
- Social Security number
MEDICAL REVIEW ELEMENTS:
- Medical evaluation
- Drug Screen
- Other elements as needed
BNSF Railway is an Equal Opportunity Employer, all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status
DRUG TEST ELEMENTS:
BNSF is committed to a safe and drug free work place and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping BNSF safe and drug free.
Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC): Federal authority requires BNSF employees, whose work requires unescorted access to secure areas of port facilities, to obtain a TWIC. A TWIC is a condition of employment for such positions and requires candidates to those positions to submit to a TSA security assessment (to include, but not limited to, providing: biographic information; identity documents; fingerprints; digital photograph). More information is available at.
SF:MO|[[mfield5]]|Technology Services|Fort Worth,TX|76131
BNSF Railway is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled.